Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's not really brunch, but it was at Noon, so........

We had to go to a family birthday lunch/brunch today so Mrs Drude and I were apart from the rest of the OBC and were off to Moxie's (Ogilvie Road). I didn't think to take pics as it can sometimes be annoying for others having to have a camera or phone shoved in their food before they eat it so it's an old fashioned  blog-post this week - I'll just have to describe the food as best I can.

I'd not been to a Moxie's before and I have to say that I was just expecting a slightly upmarket version of the Works, but - no! It was actually quite nice. Good service. The 'made on the premises' beer was lovely - I had a glass of their Amber which was slightly 'red'. The menu is big, though, and I always shudder a little at big menus. Nevertheless, we ordered and food came.

I started with the sweet potato fries with 2 dips. The dips were not described so it was a bit of a gamble but as luck would have it it was a thai green curry mayo and a thousand island type mayo - delicious! There was a lot (should be for $8 - we weren't paying) so I shared with Mrs Drude - she liked too.

I'm trying to eat more healthily these days and maybe even lose a bit of weight so I chose from their extensive salad menu. The roasted beet and arugula salad with goats cheese struck me as being both healthy and delicious - I added a small portion of salmon - which was slightly overcooked for my liking but it was tasty - and hey-presto - I had a salad that was about as nice as you could have gotten. The beets were a little under-roasted and I don't quite understand why one would roast a beet then cut off all the bits on the outside that have been roasted! That aside it was a 9/10 salad and I felt good about ordering it. 


I tell a lie - there were pics.


These places do make a lot on a salad, though - throw a load of greens and pepper it with a spoonful of ingredients and that's $13 please! Mine had the $5.99 salmon extra so my salad was nearly $20 - over that if you count the tax!

They do a brunch menu and there are a few things on it that I would def order if we were to return for a proper OBC brunch, like the shrimp and crab cake benedict!

Mrs Drude had a salad that had arugula (we like to call it rocket, but when in Rome) chopped dates, sunflower seeds, avocado, edamame and a small portion of chicken. She didn't enjoy it and I have 2/3 of it for my dinner later (pre-Oscar meatballs).

Also - her Caesar was too spicy but she managed to choke it down!

Most of the others seemed to enjoy their food too - although some ordered soup and a club sandwich. Hard to mess up.

All in all I like Moxie's - for a chain (I think it's franchised) I think their food is very good. I will definitely be lobbying for the OBC to try out the brunch menu.

Until next week,

The Drude.

No comments:

Post a Comment